The Turtle Club is a cozy retreat tucked away in the Village of Avon. The layout is all on one level, one story up, and is one half of a duplex. It has two large covered decks in the front and back which are perfect for catching morning/evening sunshine and offers plenty of shade in the middle of the day. The common area has a spacious cathedral ceiling finished in wood planking, and includes the open kitchen and living area. There is a wood burning fireplace, a wet bar and a fully equipped modern kitchen with an eat-in breakfast bar island with 10 chairs. On either side of the common room are two bedrooms which are joined by a full bathroom, and a half bathroom off the living area. Each of the four bedrooms has a sliding glass door to one of the two covered decks.
Unique features of the location:
- A shared pool is a few steps away from the front deck, it is shared by the folks staying in the other duplex as well (for the most part it is your private pool).
- Watersports action awaits right outside your door since the Turtle Club is situated in the Kite Club Hatteras complex, which means kiteboarding and stand up paddleboard lessons head out daily from the docks.
- The long docks on the canal are perfect for fishing, crabbing and docking your boat and there is a fish cleaning station on the smaller of the docks.
- Big gas grill on the back porch.
- Outdoor shower and laundry room on the front porch.
- Sorry we do not have cable however laptop hookups are available for streaming shows and movies to the TV.
- Sheets and bath towels are provided at no additional cost.
- We also strive to provide you with all the cooking utensils you would have in your home.
Check out our other listing that overlooks the canal - THE SEA STAR: https://www.vrbo.com/1259464
We stayed the week before Labor Day with 4 adults and a 3yo and 7yo. Plenty of space, very comfortable, and the pool right outside the unit was a hit, as was the well-outfitted kitchen. We will definitely be booking again next time we come down to the Outer Banks.
14th October, 2018
Relaxation and Adventure
Quite the memorable week at the Turtle Club in Avon. We weren't there to kitesurf but to have a family vacation with our three young kids. It was so nice. Different from the northern parts of the outer banks. We miss some of the fun stuff in the upper parts, but I love the laid-back vibe of Avon and Hatteras island.
The waves were rough from the atlantic our week but we found a spot (Sandy Bay, ocean side) on Hatteras' south side where it was shallow enough that we could boogie board with the kids. We hit it up every day and did all sorts of interesting stuff to fill out the days. We visited a salt farm and an oyster farm, taking a boat out into the Pamlico sound. Great seafood everywhere and recommend orange blossom bakery, buxton munch, and the mad crabber, the latter has great seafood and vibe literally within walking distance of the place.
Only thing I'd say negative about the place is the picture shows a king bed in one of the bedrooms and my wife and I were looking forward to claiming that as our bedroom but alas there was no king bed so we had to share a (full, i think? maybe queen), which wasn't the worst thing in the world but a notch down from the luxury we were expecting.
That said, the place is great, we had plenty of room and comfort, and Christo and Melissa were awesome hosts! They live next door and are very helpful and genial. It's like they are your friendly neighbors.
The Pamlico Sound surged up into the carport and surrounding areas during our final night there, as we got pelted with high winds in the wake of Hurricane Michael, which was kinda crazy, and a little bit scary at times, but all in all, it was a pretty cool and memorable experience. Christo knew exactly the right place to move our car to higher ground and kept watch during the wee hours while my family slept safe and sound up in the Turtle Club. It was fascinating to see nature at work and I think a lesson for the kids and something to not forget to top off our memorable fall break in Avon.